DevOps Kubernetes Engineer
The preferred location for this role is Hunt Valley, MD, Austin, TX, Madison, WI, San Diego, CA, or Seattle, WA. Will consider remote.
ZeniMax Online Studios seeks an experienced DevOps Engineer to work in a team environment that will help build, automate, and monitor the infrastructure platform for our next AAA game.
The DevOps Engineer will be responsible for:
- Continuing to engineer the Backend Runtime Environment, using code, tools, and pipelines
- Maintaining the lifecycle management and operability/uptime of the Backend Runtime Environment, with multiple development streams/environments
- Ensuring that ZOS is able to reliably build and deploy new product versions, deliver new features to our customers, and introduce change into those systems in a safe way
Must also be to support our systems via an on-call rotation.
- Help create and support a reliable, secure, scalable environment to provide the best gaming experience for our end users
- Work closely with other engineering teams to better understand their software enabling you to adapt the platform to their needs
- Exemplify a passion for producing quality deliverables in a timely manner
- Comfortably and confidently work with and learn from an experienced team as a self-starting engineer (who may have demonstrated significant specialization in previous positions)
- Participate in a 24/7 on call rotation supporting business critical processes and systems
- 5+ years of engineering experience
- B.S. (or higher) in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Must possess experience in supporting mission critical live environments with:
- Operating/Engineering a Backend Runtime Environment Hosted in Azure, set for Auto scaling for an MMO Client Environment
- Leveraging/Engineering Kubernetes Infrastructure
- Strong in Kubernetes
- Containers/Backend Services
- Multiple Development Streams/Environments
- Xbox & PC Builds/Players
- Observability of Infrastructure
- Logging/Reading Logs/Troubleshooting
- Splunk, JSON
- Logging/Reading Logs/Troubleshooting
- Infrastructure Lifecycle Management
- Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- Packer, Ansible, Terraform, Kotlin DSL
- CI/CD Platform Operability
- Build Server
- Build Agents
- Build Server
- Leveraging Job Runners to leverage Source Code programmatically
- On Prem/Cloud Hybrid Infra Management
- Virtual Machine Management (Team City Agents):
- Source code management
- RedHat or Debian package creation and repository management
- Must have some experience automating system tasks and monitoring infrastructure deployment using a scripting language (Python, Ruby, Bash)
- Understands the value of continuous testing
- Must be available for a 24/7 on call rotation supporting business critical applications or systems
- Clear communicator and active listener
- Curious Developer/Engineer
- Able to learn new technologies/tools
- Experience with public cloud deployments (Azure, AWS, GCP) and containers (Kubernetes, etc.)
- A passion for security tools and best practices:
- OS hardening, vulnerability scanning, system auditing
- Understands the responsibility of owning Team City (as a Platform), and always ensuring we always have enough supply for the demand (of jobs/builds that will use TC as consumers)
- Understands the responsibility of owning the Backend Runtime Environment
- Linux networking experience is a plus- this includes routing, NAT, VLAN, bridging, and prior experience with Cisco or Juniper network routers and switches
- Continuous learning and improvement
- Willing to ask questions
DevOps Engineer - The typical base pay range for this position at the start of employment is expected to be between $75,000 - $160,000 per year.
ZeniMax has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. The range above reflects the potential base pay across the U.S. for this role; the applicable base pay range will depend on what ultimately is determined to be the candidate’s primary work location. Individual base pay depends on various factors, in addition to primary work location, such as complexity and responsibility of role, job duties/requirements, and relevant experience and skills. Base pay ranges are reviewed and typically updated each year. Offers are made within the base pay range applicable at the time.
At ZeniMax certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, such as merit increases and discretionary bonuses. These awards are allocated based on individual performance and are not guaranteed. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of employment with ZeniMax and the country work location. U.S.-based employees have access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid vacation time, paid sick and mental health time, and several paid holidays, among others.
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.
What to Expect
You will receive an automated email confirming we have received your resume.
Due to the high volume of applications received, it's not possible for us to respond directly to each candidate.
Don't see your desired position listed? Apply under "General Application" instead!
If you are selected, you will be contacted by our team for an initial phone screen to chat about your previous experience.
You may go through one or two phone interviews, and possibly a follow-up Skype call.
If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file.
The next step will be an invitation to come out and meet the team at the studio for onsite interviews.
In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
ZeniMax understands the importance of privacy. Please review the Applicant Privacy Notice attached to each position, which explains how we process the personal information we collect about you when you apply for a job or submit information to us through our job portal. BY APPLYING FOR THIS OR ANY POSITION, SHARING THIS JOB, OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH THIS JOB PORTAL, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE, WHICH IS SET FORTH IN THE “APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE” SECTION BELOW EACH POSITION.