Senior DevOps Engineer
The preferred location for this role is Hunt Valley, MD, Austin, TX, or Madison, WI. Will consider remote.
ZeniMax Online Studios (ZOS) seeks an experienced Senior DevOps Engineer to work in a team environment that will help extend, automate, and monitor the infrastructure platform for The Elder Scrolls Online and future projects.
You will help create and support a reliable, secure, scalable environment to provide the best gaming experience for our end users. You will also work closely with other engineering teams to better understand their software, enabling you to adapt the platform to their needs. You will be responsible for ensuring that ZOS is able to reliably build and deploy new product versions, deliver new features to our customers, and introduce change into those systems in a safe way. Must be able to support our systems via an after-hours on-call rotation.
You should have a passion for producing quality deliverables in a timely manner. You will be working in a fast paced (Agile) environment, following a structured build and publishing process.
- Help create and support a reliable, secure, scalable environment to provide the best gaming experience for our end users
- Work closely with other engineering teams to better understand their software enabling you to adapt the platform to their needs
- Exemplify a passion for producing quality deliverables in a timely manner
- Work in a fast paced (Agile) environment, following a structured build and publishing process
- Comfortably and confidently work with and learn from an experienced team as a technology generalist (who may have demonstrated significant specialization in previous positions)
- Participate in a 24/7 on call rotation supporting business critical processes and systems
- 6+ years’ experience
- Proficient with Python
- Must possess experience in supporting mission critical live environments with:
- Core system services: BIND, Sendmail, Samba, Rsync, NTP, NFS, etc.
- Web servers (Apache, Nginx, etc.) and application frameworks (PHP, Tomcat, JBOSS, etc.)
- System and Application Logging: syslog-ng, rsyslog, Splunk, etc.
- Source code management: Git, Perforce, etc.
- RedHat or Debian package creation and repository management
- SQL or NoSQL databases: MySQL, MariaDB, etc.
- Configuration Management Tools: Chef, etc.
- Continuous Integration: TeamCity, etc.
- Must have some experience automating system tasks and monitoring infrastructure deployment using a scripting language: Python, Ruby, Bash, etc.
- Must have experience programmatically working with APIs: REST, etc.
- Knowledge of Akamai CDN, Go, PowerShell, vSphere/VMware
- Experience with virtual machine and template tooling: Packer, Vagrant, etc.
- Hobbyist programming background
- Author a technical blog or Github page with code samples
- A passion for security tools and best practices: OS hardening, vulnerability scanning, system auditing
- Linux networking experience is a plus, this includes routing, NAT, VLAN, and bridging
Sr. DevOps Engineer - The typical base pay range for this position at the start of employment is expected to be between $100,000 - $215,000 per year.
ZeniMax has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. The range above reflects the potential base pay across the U.S. for this role; the applicable base pay range will depend on what ultimately is determined to be the candidate’s primary work location. Individual base pay depends on various factors, in addition to primary work location, such as complexity and responsibility of role, job duties/requirements, and relevant experience and skills. Base pay ranges are reviewed and typically updated each year. Offers are made within the base pay range applicable at the time.
At ZeniMax certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, such as merit increases and discretionary bonuses. These awards are allocated based on individual performance and are not guaranteed. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of employment with ZeniMax and the country work location. U.S.-based employees have access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid vacation time, paid sick and mental health time, and several paid holidays, among others.
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.
What to Expect
You will receive an automated email confirming we have received your resume.
Due to the high volume of applications received, it's not possible for us to respond directly to each candidate.
Don't see your desired position listed? Apply under "General Application" instead!
If you are selected, you will be contacted by our team for an initial phone screen to chat about your previous experience.
You may go through one or two phone interviews, and possibly a follow-up Skype call.
If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file.
The next step will be an invitation to come out and meet the team at the studio for onsite interviews.
In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
ZeniMax understands the importance of privacy. Please review the Applicant Privacy Notice attached to each position, which explains how we process the personal information we collect about you when you apply for a job or submit information to us through our job portal. BY APPLYING FOR THIS OR ANY POSITION, SHARING THIS JOB, OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH THIS JOB PORTAL, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE, WHICH IS SET FORTH IN THE “APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE” SECTION BELOW EACH POSITION.