Lead Technical Engineer
Arkane Austin is looking for a Lead Technical Engineer to join us and lead a team of talented engineers in developing AAA games for PC and console systems.
Our emergent gameplay style and immersive simulation values lead to interesting challenges. As a Lead Technical Engineer, you will be helping to guide the technical vision and core game technology to solve these challenges and support the development team.
The preferred location for this role is Austin, TX. Will consider remote
- Report to the Director of Engineering and manage a team of engineers whose responsibilities include the design, implementation, and maintenance of core game and development technology, tools, physics, animation, audio, and hardware systems.
- Oversee and maintain a comprehensive build system
- Oversee and help drive performance and memory usage planning and optimization
- Work closely with production staff and other team leads to plan and schedule work for your team
- Work closely with teams across the organization to manage and release builds
- Work closely with IHVs to optimize and add new features to our games for currently supported along with upcoming hardware configurations
- Contribute as an active member of the engineering team
- Help set and maintain code quality through guidelines and code reviews
- Mentor tech team engineers
- Computer Science degree or equivalent degree and/or experience
- At least 5 years of game industry experience, with at least 2 years as a Lead Engineer or higher managing a team of engineers
- Substantial work on at least one, two preferred, shipped AAA multi-platform games
- Excellent C++ language and design skills
- Cross-platform experience (PC, Consoles)
- Excellent 3D math skills
- Excellent debugging and optimization skills
- Excellent delegation skills and ability to empower others on the team
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to accurately estimate schedules and deliver high quality work products to that schedule
- Must be a self-motivated and energetic team player with a strong work ethic and cooperative attitude
- Familiarity with graphics engineering, global lighting methods, dynamic lighting, shadow rendering and similar concepts
- Experience with real-time concurrent systems
- Experience with network and online features
- Familiarity with single player action-RPGs and immersive sims
Lead Technical Engineer - The typical base pay range for this position at the start of employment is expected to be between $125,000 - $240,000 per year.
ZeniMax has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. The range above reflects the potential base pay across the U.S. for this role; the applicable base pay range will depend on what ultimately is determined to be the candidate’s primary work location. Individual base pay depends on various factors, in addition to primary work location, such as complexity and responsibility of role, job duties/requirements, and relevant experience and skills. Base pay ranges are reviewed and typically updated each year. Offers are made within the base pay range applicable at the time.
At ZeniMax certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, such as merit increases and discretionary bonuses. These awards are allocated based on individual performance and are not guaranteed. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of employment with ZeniMax and the country work location. U.S.-based employees have access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid vacation time, paid sick and mental health time, and several paid holidays, among others.
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.
What to Expect
You will receive an automated email confirming we have received your resume.
Due to the high volume of applications received, it's not possible for us to respond directly to each candidate.
Don't see your desired position listed? Apply under "General Application" instead!
If you are selected, you will be contacted by our team for an initial phone screen to chat about your previous experience.
You may go through one or two phone interviews, and possibly a follow-up Skype call.
If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file.
The next step will be an invitation to come out and meet the team at the studio for onsite interviews.
In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
ZeniMax understands the importance of privacy. Please review the Applicant Privacy Notice attached to each position, which explains how we process the personal information we collect about you when you apply for a job or submit information to us through our job portal. BY APPLYING FOR THIS OR ANY POSITION, SHARING THIS JOB, OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH THIS JOB PORTAL, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE, WHICH IS SET FORTH IN THE “APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE” SECTION BELOW EACH POSITION.