Lead Environment Artist
MachineGames is looking for a new Lead Environment Artist to join our team and head up the Environment Art department!
In this role you will be working in close collaboration with the Art Director and our other Leads to help bringing our visions to life and create amazing worlds that the players can enjoy for many years to come.
To thrive in this role, we believe that you have been in some type of leadership position before where you have had people in direct report to your position and acted as a go-to person for your department. You enjoy overseeing the bigger picture of your field, but you still possess a keen eye for details and finding the little things that will make a great impact to our products.
As a person we think you see yourself as someone reliable and with a structured personality that thoroughly enjoys motivating team members and help them on their path to become the best artists they can possibly be.
Our studio is located in central Uppsala, Sweden which is a small and vibrant city 30 minutes north of the capital Stockholm. It has a historical heritage reaching back to pre-medieval times. MachineGames is a part of Zenimax Media inc. alongside sister studios such as Alpha Dog games, Arkane studios, Bethesda game studios, Id Software, Roundhouse Studios, Tango Gameworks, and ZeniMax Online Studios.
Our studio has a legacy of being down to earth and free from big egos, our everyday work as well as our long-term goals are driven by our values:
- We value Team performance over individual performance
- We practice an open door policy
- We deliver what we promise
- We give constructive and actionable feedback
- We practice ownership and accountability
- We learn from our mistakes.
This is a permanent position, starting as soon as possible. We will support your relocation and/or application for work permit if you are not an EU citizen and/or are not currently residing in Sweden.
- Assist the Art Director in executing the creative vision in relation to the project’s environment art, assuming creative ownership when delegated by Art Director.
- Ensure art pipelines & standard building-processes are clearly defined for all Environment art.
- Carry out environment art reviews and provide feedback to the team, ensuring their artwork meets the high quality defined by the visual target.
- Work with production on setting broad targets for the team, as well as individual targets for each team member. Delegate responsibility accordingly.
- Support & maintain technical standards as determined by and/or in collaboration with the Lead Tech Artist.
- Act as the primary point of contact for outsourcing/contracted environment artists.
- Support your team members' development and performance, through continuous feedback as well as the annual performance review.
- Proven experience within a lead role throughout a whole AAA development cycle, successfully leading others towards a common goal.
- A strong portfolio covering all aspects of environment art
- Expert 3d modeling and texturing skills
- A knowledge of PBR systems with a focus on material definition, readability, and convincing surface detail
- Experience with game level production, with a heavy focus on layout, composition, and visual hierarchy.
- A track record of exploring new trends and innovations within the discipline of environment art and applying them to work.
- Have a positive attitude, be a team player, and have excellent communication skills both verbally and written in English.
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.
What to Expect
You will receive an automated email confirming we have received your resume.
Due to the high volume of applications received, it's not possible for us to respond directly to each candidate.
Don't see your desired position listed? Apply under "General Application" instead!
If you are selected, you will be contacted by our team for an initial phone screen to chat about your previous experience.
You may go through one or two phone interviews, and possibly a follow-up Skype call.
If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file.
The next step will be an invitation to come out and meet the team at the studio for onsite interviews.
In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
ZeniMax understands the importance of privacy. Please review the Applicant Privacy Notice attached to each position, which explains how we process the personal information we collect about you when you apply for a job or submit information to us through our job portal. BY APPLYING FOR THIS OR ANY POSITION, SHARING THIS JOB, OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH THIS JOB PORTAL, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE, WHICH IS SET FORTH IN THE “APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE” SECTION BELOW EACH POSITION.