Are you passionate about designing levels for games? More specifically, does the thought of designing hand-crafted levels for the next id Software game excite you?
At id, level and mission design is the foundation for player experience in our games, and we are looking for talented and experienced Level Designers eager to join our accomplished team in making AAA games. You will work closely with Game Directors, Leads, Environment Artists and fellow Designers, along with multi-discipline feature teams, to conceptualize, design and develop high quality levels for our campaign-focused first-person games.
- Work with Directors and Leads to execute on the vision for the game.
- Layout and construction of game environments, including establishing pacing, flow, and points of interest and exploration.
- Collaborate with gameplay and combat designers to develop and incorporate combat encounters, puzzles, movement challenges and other gameplay.
- Collaborate with Cinematic and Technical Design teams to incorporate story, cinematics and other game events logically and seamlessly within the flow of the player experience.
- Proactively contribute creative gameplay ideas throughout the game creation process.
- Collaborate with Art teams to balance aesthetic and gameplay needs with technical guidelines to achieve the breakthrough worlds and fast performance that id Software games are known for.
- 3+ years of game industry experience as a designer.
- A passion for games and game development.
- Significant design contributions to at least one AAA shipped game.
- Firm understanding of first-person action shooters and the game theory and design principles behind successful examples.
- Strong sense of composition, space and scale within 3D architecture, including demonstrable examples (portfolio or game examples).
- Familiarity with world building tools and/or relevant 3D software packages.
- Excellent team player with very strong work ethic and ability to take and act on feedback.
- Self-motivated and focused worker with good communication and collaboration skills.
- Good time management skills with a solid understanding of and appreciation for milestones, schedules, deadlines, and efficient game development processes.
- Familiarity with id Software games, characters, brands, and worlds.
- Proficiency with modeling tools (LightWave, Modo or other similar).
- Experience with engine specific toolsets (Radiant, Hammer, Frostbite, etc.).
- Experience with story creation and dialogue.
- Programming and/or scripting experience.
- Traditional art skills (modeling, drawing, painting) / Photoshop experience.
- BS degree or equivalent work experience.
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.
What to Expect
You will receive an automated email confirming we have received your resume.
Due to the high volume of applications received, it's not possible for us to respond directly to each candidate.
Don't see your desired position listed? Apply under "General Application" instead!
If you are selected, you will be contacted by our team for an initial phone screen to chat about your previous experience.
You may go through one or two phone interviews, and possibly a follow-up Skype call.
If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file.
The next step will be an invitation to come out and meet the team at the studio for onsite interviews.
In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
ZeniMax understands the importance of privacy. Please review the Applicant Privacy Notice attached to each position, which explains how we process the personal information we collect about you when you apply for a job or submit information to us through our job portal. BY APPLYING FOR THIS OR ANY POSITION, SHARING THIS JOB, OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH THIS JOB PORTAL, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE, WHICH IS SET FORTH IN THE “APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE” SECTION BELOW EACH POSITION.