Lead Level Designer
Arkane Studios is one of the most renowned development studios in the video game industry. Founded in 1999, the studio is owned by ZeniMax Media and Microsoft XBox. Arkane is known for its creative worlds and first-person action games, including the Dishonored and Prey franchises, which have won multiple "Game of the Year" awards. Our newest title Deathloop released on September 14, 2021, for PlayStation 5 and PC is another hit!
Joining Arkane Lyon is an opportunity to collaborate and evolve with a passionate and talented team, on cutting-edge technologies and innovative games, and in a stimulating and welcoming work environment. The studio is located in the Lyon Confluence district, a place of greenery, sports, gastronomy and music.
- Develop the level design vision in collaboration with the creative direction and oversee the implementation of this vision in our games, with the player experience at the center
- Define and maintain game levels to create a satisfying and polished level design flow
- Be the referee on how the story and gameplay loops are brought together to create the "gameplay experience" faithful to the creative direction.
- Collaborate with Lead Tech Level Designer to define the pipeline and tools so that level design team can work efficiently
- Work closely with the Level Art team all along the levels creation and iteration
- Collaborate with the Campaign Designer to make sure missions and levels are in harmony with the campaign
- Work closely with the GD team to ensure the gameplay experience is reached
- Be the key point of contact between the LD team and the other dev teams
- Write documentation related to level design and gameplay experience to ensure guidelines and intentions are understood and followed
- Manage the LD team: monitor team members’ objectives, carry out performance evaluation, favor an active and a fluid communication, demonstrate exemplary self-management, convey a vision, manage the recruitment for the team if needed
- At least 3-5 years experience in a similar position on a AAA game
- Strong ability to adapt in a fast-paced environment
- Understanding of the values of the game design philosophy behind action adventure stealth games such as the Dishonored series
- Adherence to the systemic design philosophy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and French
- Familiarity with the constraints of action-adventure games and immersive simulations
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.
What to Expect
You will receive an automated email confirming we have received your resume.
Due to the high volume of applications received, it's not possible for us to respond directly to each candidate.
Don't see your desired position listed? Apply under "General Application" instead!
If you are selected, you will be contacted by our team for an initial phone screen to chat about your previous experience.
You may go through one or two phone interviews, and possibly a follow-up Skype call.
If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file.
The next step will be an invitation to come out and meet the team at the studio for onsite interviews.
In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
ZeniMax understands the importance of privacy. Please review the Applicant Privacy Notice attached to each position, which explains how we process the personal information we collect about you when you apply for a job or submit information to us through our job portal. BY APPLYING FOR THIS OR ANY POSITION, SHARING THIS JOB, OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH THIS JOB PORTAL, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE, WHICH IS SET FORTH IN THE “APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE” SECTION BELOW EACH POSITION.