Senior Technical Animator / Character TD
id Software, part of the ZeniMax Media Inc. family of companies, is seeking a Senior Technical Animator/ Character TD to join our team in our Richardson, TX studio (near Dallas). This position will be responsible for the implementation of AAA quality animation rigs with a focus on Havok cloth and hair implementation. Working in coordination with the Concept, Modeling and Animations teams, applicants will be tasked with creating hair and cloth rigs to be used in both gameplay and cinematics. Candidates should be self-motivating and demonstrate strong technical, design, organizational and scripting skills.
- Build and test animation rigs in Maya and in our custom engine
- Implementation of Havok for cloth, hair and secondary animation of belts and other attachments
- Work with Concept and Modeling to design cloth and hair that supports dynamic movement
- Collaborate with Animation to develop cloth and hair rigs that can be simulated or animated
- Design a simulation pipeline that is flexible and iterative
- Develop and maintain tools to assist in cloth and hair setup
- Work with the Engine team to develop improved systems and techniques
- Work with producers and various departments to prioritize tasks
- Minimum 1 shipped AAA game
- Portfolio with in-game examples of cloth and hair
- In-depth knowledge of Havok, specifically cloth and hair setup
- Extensive experience in Maya
- Ability to create realistic deformations with joint based deformers
- Strong weight painting skills
- Solid understanding of movement in fabric
- Ability to adapt workflows to engine requirements/ limitations
- Proficiency in management of multiple priorities and tasks within a set deadline
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Proficiency in Python scripting language
*Candidates should include a link to their demo reel in their resume / cv for consideration.
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.
What to Expect
You will receive an automated email confirming we have received your resume.
Due to the high volume of applications received, it's not possible for us to respond directly to each candidate.
Don't see your desired position listed? Apply under "General Application" instead!
If you are selected, you will be contacted by our team for an initial phone screen to chat about your previous experience.
You may go through one or two phone interviews, and possibly a follow-up Skype call.
If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file.
The next step will be an invitation to come out and meet the team at the studio for onsite interviews.
In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
ZeniMax understands the importance of privacy. Please review the Applicant Privacy Notice attached to each position, which explains how we process the personal information we collect about you when you apply for a job or submit information to us through our job portal. BY APPLYING FOR THIS OR ANY POSITION, SHARING THIS JOB, OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH THIS JOB PORTAL, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE, WHICH IS SET FORTH IN THE “APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE” SECTION BELOW EACH POSITION.