Senior Software Engineer - Platform Services
The Bethesda.net team is seeking a talented Senior Software Engineer to contribute to the Bethesda Softworks Digital Publishing Platform. This role focuses on feature development that support online game features, administrative tools, web, and mobile applications.
For service development, you will mostly use Python or Go, and we have a strong focus on AWS Managed services to accelerate development. However, other solutions are adopted as needed (open source preferred). Our systems are running at scale 24x7, and all engineers participate in architecture discussions, live support, and our continuous improvement processes.
We are always exploring ways to improve our scale, reliability, and efficiency, and engineers are expected to learn and support new technologies, as well as propose new solutions that solve observed problems.
- Guide the technical development of complex features under the direction of a Lead Software Engineer
- Write clean, maintainable code that is scalable, reliable, and observable
- Support systems in a 24x7 environment including troubleshooting, hot fixing, and root cause analysis
- Actively provide code review and feedback for other developers
- Learn new technologies and programming languages as needed
- Ensure consistency with security policy standards and security plan
- Understand and define infrastructure as code to support systems developed
- Collaborate with other engineers and engineering teams to deliver high quality, complex systems this includes Ops Infra, Security, QA, NOC, and Game Developers
- Coach and mentor engineers
- Other duties as assigned
- 5 years of experience as a software engineer
- Possess a strong technical background and deep knowledge of software engineering principles, exceptional problem solving, design, programming, and testing skills
- Experience with version control systems (Github preferred)
- Experience supporting live systems at very high scale
- Customer focused design of APIs and integration requirements; make integration easy
- Experience integrating online services
- Good working knowledge of message brokers (Kinesis, NATS, SQS), Databases (DynamoDB, MongoDB) and caching technologies (Memcached/Redis)
- Deep understanding of Golang or Python and how it operates under challenging conditions
- The desire to learn new languages and technology
- A pragmatic approach to providing engineering solutions that solve business needs
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Strongly desire Golang experience
- Strongly desire experience building cloud infrastructure and operating live systems
- Experience working in cross functional teams
- Experience working with microservices architecture
- Experience with RPC protocols including gRPC and jRPC
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.
What to Expect
You will receive an automated email confirming we have received your resume.
Due to the high volume of applications received, it's not possible for us to respond directly to each candidate.
Don't see your desired position listed? Apply under "General Application" instead!
If you are selected, you will be contacted by our team for an initial phone screen to chat about your previous experience.
You may go through one or two phone interviews, and possibly a follow-up Skype call.
If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file.
The next step will be an invitation to come out and meet the team at the studio for onsite interviews.
In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
ZeniMax understands the importance of privacy. Please review the Applicant Privacy Notice attached to each position, which explains how we process the personal information we collect about you when you apply for a job or submit information to us through our job portal. BY APPLYING FOR THIS OR ANY POSITION, SHARING THIS JOB, OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH THIS JOB PORTAL, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE, WHICH IS SET FORTH IN THE “APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE” SECTION BELOW EACH POSITION.