Senior Vehicle Designer
ZeniMax Online Studios is seeking a Senior Vehicle Designer to join our studio for the development of our next AAA game. This is a chance to join an experienced group of developers in pre-production for a new IP.
This role will serve under the Lead Systems Designer to design and tune vehicle systems and movement mechanics and hone them to industry-leading quality. A developer in this role will serve as the project’s vehicle specialist. They will collaborate with leads across all development disciplines to build a fun player-controlled vehicle and exciting vehicle gameplay in the game’s many environments. They will also work on the systems for NPC controlled vehicles.
- Design, create, and maintain documentation for player and NPC controlled vehicles
- Design vehicle mechanics and build test spaces in which they can be prototyped and tuned
- Work with the Lead Level Designer in building fun vehicle “playground” spaces, defining metrics, and establishing standards for building vehicle gameplay in the world
- Work with the gameplay engineering team in implementing vehicles and vehicle mechanics
- Work with animators to design how vehicles and their occupants animate
- Work with the camera team to implement vehicle gameplay cameras
- Serve as the project point of contact for all vehicle mechanics and systems
- 5+ years related experience
- Deeply creative with a great sense of what makes vehicle and driving gameplay fun
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-discipline development environment
- Some knowledge of level design tools and building 3D spaces
- Expert proficiency integrating imagery and text to deliver thorough, easy to understand design documents
- Excellent understanding of the design fundamentals of visual language, gameplay challenge, and teaching mechanics
- Comfortable with a development schedule that is playtest-driven and focused on iteration and polish
- Strong understanding of the discrete elements game systems are built from, and the ability to problem solve both holistically and on a per-component basis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An online portfolio which clearly demonstrates relevant work experience
- Experience developing Open World games
- Experience with level design
- Strong public speaking skills
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.
What to Expect
You will receive an automated email confirming we have received your resume.
Due to the high volume of applications received, it's not possible for us to respond directly to each candidate.
Don't see your desired position listed? Apply under "General Application" instead!
If you are selected, you will be contacted by our team for an initial phone screen to chat about your previous experience.
You may go through one or two phone interviews, and possibly a follow-up Skype call.
If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file.
The next step will be an invitation to come out and meet the team at the studio for onsite interviews.
In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
ZeniMax understands the importance of privacy. Please review the Applicant Privacy Notice attached to each position, which explains how we process the personal information we collect about you when you apply for a job or submit information to us through our job portal. BY APPLYING FOR THIS OR ANY POSITION, SHARING THIS JOB, OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH THIS JOB PORTAL, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE, WHICH IS SET FORTH IN THE “APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE” SECTION BELOW EACH POSITION.