Senior Gameplay Designer
ZeniMax Online Studios is seeking a Senior Gameplay Designer to join our studio for the development of our next AAA game. This is a chance to join an experienced group of developers in pre-production for a new IP.
This role will serve under the Lead Systems Designer to design and tune player movement systems and mechanics, and hone them to industry-leading quality. A developer in this role will serve as a player movement mechanics specialist and will collaborate with leads across all development disciplines in creating supporting gameplay systems to use player movement mechanics in many exciting gameplay scenarios.
- 5+ years related experience
- Design, create, and maintain documentation for player movement systems and mechanics
- Tune new and existing movement mechanics to emphasize fluid and fun traversal
- Build test spaces where movement mechanics can be prototyped, tuned, and combined in fun ways to represent the range of possibilities player movement systems bring to gameplay
- Work with the Lead Level and Combat Designers in defining metrics and use cases for player movement
- Work with animators to pre-vis player moves and generate ideas for new moves
- Work with the gameplay engineering team in implementing movement mechanics and their supporting tuning and debugging features
- Work with the Principal Encounter Designer in building movement mechanics for combat gameplay
- Work with the camera team to emphasize momentum and action in movement while showing clear gameplay options
- Serve as the project point of contact for all movement mechanics and systems
- Collaborate with all development disciplines to bring player movement systems from early vision to industry-shaping final implementation
- Deeply creative with a great sense of what makes movement in gameplay fun
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-discipline development environment
- Some knowledge of animation systems
- Expert proficiency integrating imagery and text to deliver thorough, easy to understand design documents
- Excellent understanding of the design fundamentals of visual language, building challenge, and teaching mechanics
- Comfortable with a development schedule that is playtest-driven and focused on iteration and polish
- Strong understanding of the discrete elements game systems are built from, and the ability to problem solve both holistically and on a per-component basis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of scripting or programming
- An online portfolio which clearly demonstrates relevant work experience
- Experience developing Open World games
- Experience in animation
- Experience with level design
- Strong public speaking skills
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.
What to Expect
You will receive an automated email confirming we have received your resume.
Due to the high volume of applications received, it's not possible for us to respond directly to each candidate.
Don't see your desired position listed? Apply under "General Application" instead!
If you are selected, you will be contacted by our team for an initial phone screen to chat about your previous experience.
You may go through one or two phone interviews, and possibly a follow-up Skype call.
If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file.
The next step will be an invitation to come out and meet the team at the studio for onsite interviews.
In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
ZeniMax understands the importance of privacy. Please review the Applicant Privacy Notice attached to each position, which explains how we process the personal information we collect about you when you apply for a job or submit information to us through our job portal. BY APPLYING FOR THIS OR ANY POSITION, SHARING THIS JOB, OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH THIS JOB PORTAL, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE, WHICH IS SET FORTH IN THE “APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE” SECTION BELOW EACH POSITION.