Senior Character Artist
Arkane Studios is seeking a talented Senior Character Artist to join our Austin team! The ideal candidate will have a passion for creating memorable faces, a solid grasp of anatomy, and a strong understanding of composition as applied to characters. As a senior, the ideal candidate should have a discerning eye for style without sacrificing quality or composition. The Senior Character artist will also have a hand in researching tools to implement and maintain in the character art pipeline.
- Create and texture highly detailed 3D character models for AAA games
- Work directly with the Art Director, Lead Character Artist and Concept team in the creation of character assets.
- Interface with freelance artists and art outsourcers to help convey character art direction as needed
- Collaborate with other disciplines such as tech art, animation and design to understand gameplay requirements, technological issues and how they relate to the character art and implementation
- Serve as mentor for more junior level character artists.
- 5+ years’ experience in video games and shipped at least 1 AAA title as a Senior Character Artist
- Advanced Maya, ZBrush, Substance Painter, and Photoshop skills
- A solid foundation of creating Physically based materials and texture balancing as applied to in-game lighting
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and comfortable filling details where concepts may be vague
- Strong understanding of human anatomy, animal anatomy, facial anatomy and how it applies to facial animation, etc.
- Experienced with PBR engines like Unreal, idTech, or CryEngine
- Excellent follow through and takes initiative to solve problems
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Passion for video games and game development
- All applicants must submit work samples in order to be considered
- Ideal portfolio will consist of highly detailed character models (humans & creatures) realistic textures (skin, hair, worn clothing & accessories), accurate anatomy, etc.
- Familiarity with asset tracking and issue tracking tools such as Perforce and JIRA.
- Extensive fine art background and a strong understanding of color, the human form/anatomy and structure/silhouette in respect of modeling
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.
What to Expect
You will receive an automated email confirming we have received your resume.
Due to the high volume of applications received, it's not possible for us to respond directly to each candidate.
Don't see your desired position listed? Apply under "General Application" instead!
If you are selected, you will be contacted by our team for an initial phone screen to chat about your previous experience.
You may go through one or two phone interviews, and possibly a follow-up Skype call.
If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file.
The next step will be an invitation to come out and meet the team at the studio for onsite interviews.
In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
ZeniMax understands the importance of privacy. Please review the Applicant Privacy Notice attached to each position, which explains how we process the personal information we collect about you when you apply for a job or submit information to us through our job portal. BY APPLYING FOR THIS OR ANY POSITION, SHARING THIS JOB, OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH THIS JOB PORTAL, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE, WHICH IS SET FORTH IN THE “APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE” SECTION BELOW EACH POSITION.