Senior Level Designer
ZeniMax Online Studios is seeking a Senior Level Designer to join our studio for the development of our next AAA game. This is a chance to join an experienced group of developers in pre-production for a new IP.
A developer in this role serves as part of the level design team with a focus on creating levels both in open world and “linear” spaces, combat encounter design, and scripting. This role will work closely with narrative and gameplay systems team members in creating story-focused missions which feature thrilling gameplay, challenging combat, and memorable player experiences. A key part of this role involves designing the workflow and establishing best practices for mission creation on a new, industry-leading engine.
- Work with world builders in creating the environments in which missions take place
- Script and implement key moments within these spaces
- Work with the narrative design team and systems design team in creating content outline documents which detail the structure, flow, and key moments of experiences
- Craft memorable combat encounters, and work with combat systems designers in honing these experiences to perfection
- Create fun gameplay spaces focused on the game’s core mechanics
- Help determine the optimal workflow for content creation
- Work with the tools team to identify the ideal toolset with which to create content
- 3+ years related experience
- Deeply creative with a great sense of what makes gameplay fun
- Excellent sense of gameplay pacing
- Excellent level design skills
- Good grasp of scripting or coding
- Experience with combat encounter design in a AAA game
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-discipline development environment
- Comfortable with a development schedule that is playtest-driven and focused on iteration and polish
- Strong understanding of the discrete elements game levels and combat experiences are built from, and the ability to problem solve both holistically and on a per-component basis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Experience developing Open World games
- Combat systems design experience for third or first person games
- Background in architecture or paper/board game design
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.
What to Expect
You will receive an automated email confirming we have received your resume.
Due to the high volume of applications received, it's not possible for us to respond directly to each candidate.
Don't see your desired position listed? Apply under "General Application" instead!
If you are selected, you will be contacted by our team for an initial phone screen to chat about your previous experience.
You may go through one or two phone interviews, and possibly a follow-up Skype call.
If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file.
The next step will be an invitation to come out and meet the team at the studio for onsite interviews.
In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
ZeniMax understands the importance of privacy. Please review the Applicant Privacy Notice attached to each position, which explains how we process the personal information we collect about you when you apply for a job or submit information to us through our job portal. BY APPLYING FOR THIS OR ANY POSITION, SHARING THIS JOB, OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH THIS JOB PORTAL, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE, WHICH IS SET FORTH IN THE “APPLICANT PRIVACY NOTICE” SECTION BELOW EACH POSITION.